11/6/12

Values & Kpop II - revenge of the values

Miss A gets it right.

In my last post I mentioned how Kpop and most of the entertainment industry- aided with the help and spread by internet- are spreading values such as materialism. I was watching a Kpop reviewer who teachers English in Korea. She offered her class a poll that gave them a choice of a rich, tall man that treated them badly or a shorter average-waged man who treated them like gold. To my surprise, over 80% of the girls opted for the rich man saying other women envying them and the fact they could buy anything they want would bring them happiness.

The rising popular group Miss A is launching a campaign for the first time to tell young girls not to rely on men for everything and that money isn't everything in this world. This is rarely seen in K-pop and I feel is a good step in the right direction. 


4 comments:

  1. That poll you mentioned is fascinating and really puts things in perspective; as materialized as American culture has become, it's hard to imagine that scenario in an American classroom. Ironic, isn't it, that the only Kpop song that most Americans know lampoons that very culture of materialism?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this stuff just makes North Korea look even more suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to learn this dance! But as far as the info on this blog: VERY INTERESTING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poll you reference is interesting- can you provide a link to the review?
    Kpop seems to reflect trends in American culture- I think there was a song released a while back that also utilized an "I don't need a man" refrain. Google informs me that "I Don't Need a Man" was performed by the Pussycat Dolls and released in 2005.

    ReplyDelete