11/6/12

Gangnam Style (강남스타일) and You

Oppan Gangnam Style!
Gangnam Style is a parody on the party-going lifestyle in the Gangnam district of Seoul, Korea.
If you've been on the internet or followed popular news for just about any amount of time recently, cances are you've heard Psy's smash hit "Gangnam Style" whether you wanted to or not. As I check now, the video has a grand total of 655,761,176 views. The Gangnam Style music video reached #1 on Youtube, shortly followed by #1 on many music charts such as iTunes. Before long, America's and other top artists around the world were Tweeting and posting their adoration of the phenomenon.

"How is all this possible?" you're most likely asking yourself.

"The internet!" I'm most likely answering with.

I felt Gangnam Style was most fitting for an introductory first blog post here. Most of you are familiar with this song and dance, as are your friends. The vast decentralized computer network connecting us all that we know as the "Internet" allowed for the massive phenomenon that is Gangnam Style. Before Gangnam Style was "mainstream" so to say, I first found it through a k-pop review site, and showed it to my friends. This activity spread, and soon Psy was on the radios and TV here in America. Amazing.


3 comments:

  1. Dude, first off - totes lame you have Super Junior as an option for a favorite Kpop group in the poll but not DBSK. DBSK are 5eva the sunbaes, man. As for girl groups, I was always more of a Brown Eyed Girls kinda fan than SNSD, but c'est la vie.

    I've actually never seen much of why Gangnam Style has been such a sensation. It's a catchy song, it's got a dance... but so do a bunch of others. Why didn't one of the other ten thousand songs make it? Ha, I guess the world will never know.

    Still cool to see K-pop garnerning some attention from the Western hemisphere. I haven't dabbled in that area in quite a while. It was my scene... back in the day. Yikes, I'm getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOL

      I'm sorry! I'm not too experienced when it comes to the guy groups, I've always been a girl group kind of person~

      I'm going to listen to some DBSK right now though ;D

      and YESSS brown eyed girls, Have you seen Gain's song
      'Bloom?"- I couldn't make the poll TOO long or it'd mess up and cut off the side of the blog for some reason ;_;

      thanks for reading~!!

      Delete
    2. Ah, well, let's just put it this way - I used to stay up to the wee hours of the morning to watch Music Bank and other shows like that. When I had the energy... lol, provided, I would be playing something like Final Fantasy and then sort of just watch the groups I was interested in, then go to bed. Ah, gah. I would be up til 5:30AM... what's happened to me, I can barely make it to 1:30!

      DBSK's got some good stuff. I could never decide if I liked their Japanese stuff or Korean stuff more... I can't even with the Korean groups attempts at Mandarin. It's just not right lol.

      Yeah, I understand... haha. Can't include everybody! But no, I haven't really seen anything kpop related in a long time. Some places (allkpop... omonatheydidnt) take things a bit TOO seriously. I bowed out of that fan group long ago.

      Delete